Sunday, 27 January 2013

The Great Ocean Road

After a less than good night's sleep (for me anyway, Johan was ok) at the Comfort Inn (ironically, it wasn't that comfy) we were up and on the road by 10am. There was some kind of massive parrot fight at 6am as they were all squarking like mad! As breakfast wasn't included we got some pots of porridge in a supermarket in Barossa and made them by adding hot water from the kettle.  Smart. Mum, you should be proud - the camping days have equipped me well! :)

As we were on the road early we had time to stop in various different places along the Great Ocean Road to Apollo Bay, where we are staying for two nights.

We stopped at a variety of places and I can't remember the names of all of them, but they were all very beautiful and impressive.  I know the one with lots of columns in the sea is the 12 Apostles.  What was most impressive is the contrast of the almost turquoise sea with the yellow ochre/burnt umber/terracotta rocks.

I did most of the driving today, but Johan did the first bit.


The first island at The Bay of Island looks like a wedge of cake


The colours in the rocks

An opening - perhaps a collapsed arch?


An arch -  I think this was called a gorge

A cove

A grotto!

Just before the 12 Apostles

Look at the blue colour!

Very impressive how the different rocks have eroded and weathered in different ways

All the evil flies on my back, gr.


We got 'G'day' comments today due to our matching hats!



Pictures from the 12 Apostles:





Crazy surfers near the rocks!


A car window picture from Johan on the road very close to Apollo Bay

And another one!

5 comments:

  1. Gud day to you too. Its beautiful today here sunny and a bit frosty & no flipping snow. I love the porridge, see that training has come in useful lol. Stunning photographs and you sound happier today. The floods is Brisbans are bad, good job it will be a while before you are there, I do hop it all goes away before Hamilton Bay, so fortunate to doyour trip this way round avoiding the searing heat, bush fires and floods, off to work now, enjoy Apollo Bay, I keep singing the song Echo beach for some strange reason love you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It looks so amazing. I have really enjoyed following your blog. Liz

      Delete
  3. What amazing pictures. It looks so fantastic. Really enjoying following your blog.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! It is quite fantastic. I've never seen so many breath taking views before. It's like beach after beach after beach of paradise! A long way from Skeggy!

      Delete